Different taxing entities within Webb County grants various exemptions to property owners to reduce their taxable values, and property taxes. Please click on the exemptions listed below to read in detail about the exemption, and qualification criterias. To download forms and applications pertaining to the exemptions explained below, please CLICK HERE

To qualify for a general homestead exemption, you must own and use the home as your principal residence on January 1 st. Your homestead can be a separate structure, condominium or manufactured home located on leased land, as long as you own the home itself. Your homestead includes your house and the land used as your yard, not to exceed 20 acres. If you are not the sole owner of your home, you will receive only a portion of any qualified exemption, based on your percent ownership. If you have more than one house, you can receive exemptions only for your main or principal residence. You may not receive a homestead exemption for more than one residence homestead in the same year. If you temporarily move away from your home, you can still receive an exemption as long as you intend to return and do not establish another principal residence. "Temporarily" means an absence of less than two years. Renting part of your home or using part of it for a business does not disqualify the rest of your home for the exemption. A copy of a valid Texas State issued driver's license or ID is required. If the situs address of the home that you are applying for does not match the address on your driver's license or ID, a copy of two (2) complete, current and unpaid utility bills; light, water, or gas (one of each) must accompany the identification. If you do not have a gas utility bill, then the telephone or cable complete, current and unpaid bill from your current address is acceptable. The information requested above must be presented with your homestead application in order for your exemption to be processed. Each taxing unit decides whether to offer the optional exemption and at what percentage:

* Laredo ISD - 10% Local Option and $15,000; State mandated
* United ISD -15% Local Option and $15,000; State mandated
* Webb Consolidated ISD - 20% Local Option and $15,000; State mandated
* Road & Bridge - $3,000; State mandated

These totals will be deducted from the appraised value of your property and you will pay taxes on the remaining value.

To download forms and applications pertaining to the General Residential Homestead exemption, please CLICK HERE

If you are 65 years of age or older; your residence homestead qualifies for this additional exemption; which removes part of the value of your property from taxation and lowers your tax bill.You will qualify for the Over-65 Homeowner exemption as soon as you turn 65, as long as you own the home and live in it as your principal residence. You will receive the exemption back to January 1 of that tax year. You may defer, or postpone, paying any property taxes on your home for as long as you own and live in it. To postpone your tax payments, file a "tax deferral affidavit" with our office. You may suspend any lawsuit by filing this affidavit with the court or stop a pending tax sale by filing this affidavit with the officer conducting the sale. A tax deferral, however, only postpones your tax liability. It does not cancel it. An additional benefit of the over-65 homestead exemption is the school tax ceiling; that is the school taxes on your home will not increase as long as you own and live in that home, unless you make improvements to the home.

To download forms and applications pertaining to the Over-65 Homestead exemption, please CLICK HERE

You qualify for an extension of this exemption if; (1) you are 55 years of age or older on the date your spouse died, and (2) your deceased spouse was receiving the age 65 or older exemption on this residence homestead or would have applied and qualified for the exemption in the year of the spouse's death

To download forms and applications pertaining to the Over-55 Surviving Spouse of a person who recieved the Over-65 exemptions, please CLICK HERE

A disability exemption is an exemption in addition to your regular homestead exemption. "Disability" means: (1) you can't engage in gainful work because of physical or mental impairment that has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months; or (2)you are 55 years old and blind and can't engage in your previous work because of your blindness You must meet all the qualifications for the General Residential Homestead exemption outlined above. If you receive disability benefits under the Federal Old-Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance Program administered by the Social Security Administration, you will qualify. Disability benefits from any other program, including a disabled veterans' pension, do not automatically qualify you for this exemption. You may not receive both this exemption and the over-65 exemption. Disabled homeowners have a ceiling imposed on their school taxes similar to that provided to homeowners aged 65 or older.

To download forms and applications pertaining to the Disability exemption, please CLICK HERE

You may qualify for a property tax exemption if you are either:
a veteran who was disabled while serving with the U.S. armed forces or
the surviving spouse or child (under 18 years of age and unmarried) of a disabled veteran or a member of the armed forces who was killed while on active duty.

You must be a Texas resident to receive this exemption. You also must have documents from either the Veterans' Administration or the appropriate branch of the armed forces that shows the percentage of your service-related disability. Your disability rating must be at least 10 percent. If you are a surviving spouse or child, you must have the veteran's disability records. You may need other documents such as proof of marriage or age. The exemption ranges from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on the extent of the disability. This exemption is not only for a home; you can apply it to any property you own on January 1. However, you may pick only one property to receive this exemption. The appropriate exemption amount will be deducted from the appraised value of the property to which you want the exemption applied.

To qualify for this new exemption, a veteran must meet the following criteria:

(1) Served in the armed forces of the United States,
(2) Been classified as disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as a result of a service-connected disability,
(3) Receive 100 percent disability compensation from the VA; and
(4) Received either a 100 percent disability rating or been classified unemployable by the VA.

The veteran must own a home that is approved as his or her residence homestead. A residence homestead is a structure designed or adapted for human residence that is occupied as the principal residence by the property’s owner.

AMOUNT OF THE EXEMPTION: Qualifying veterans are entitled to an exemption of the total appraised value of the home. They will not have to pay property taxes on the homestead to any taxing entity.
This complete exemption also applies to a veteran who owns the homestead as community property with a spouse. If, however, the veteran owns the homestead jointly with someone else, not as community property, the veteran is eligible for the exemption of 100 percent of his or her ownership interest on not on the entire property’s appraised value.

  || OTHER FORMS ||  
If you are a homeowner aged 65 or older, you may "defer" or postpone paying any property taxes on your home for as long as you own and live in it. A tax deferral, however, only postpones your tax liability. It doesn't cancel it.

You may represent yourself in any property tax matter. You also may appoint a representative-commonly called an "agent"-to handle specific duties. To appoint an agent, you must provide that person with written authorization to represent you. You must use a special Appointment of Agent from (Form No. 50-162), available from the appraisal district or the Comptroller's office.

To obtain a copy of the Appointment of Agent Form; Please CLICK HERE

Under Section 25.025, Tax Code, if you are a peace officer, county jailer, commissioned security officer, employee of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, or a victim of family violence, you may request that information in the appraisal records identifying your home address be restricted from public access. By completing and submitting this form to the appraisal district, you are requesting that confidentiality of information identifying your home address. If you want to rescind this confidentiality request, you must do so in writing to the appraisal district.

To obtain a copy of the Request for Confidentiality Form; Please CLICK HERE

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) || Site Index for Website || Satellite Imagery of City of Laredo
For questions and comments about this Website, please email WCAD Webmaster
This Website is best viewed in Internet Explorer (version 8 and up), or Google Chrome, at a resolution of 1280 x 1024
  Disclaimer: To read the disclaimer, please click here